CERN-Solid server hosting
Project nameThe CERN-Solid collaboration continuity with an in-house Community Solid Server (CSS)
In the CERN IT/CDA group a lot of work was done in 2020-2021 to understand the Solid project ecosystem. Solid is here to stay and develop tools that give the users sovereignty over their own data, the storage of and access control to those data. This is why we need to continue this work and extend the Proof of Concept (PoC) to other CERN Open Source applications, involving Authorisation/Authentication and user profiles. Most importantly, we need to bring up our own Solid server to host our pods, to be sure that all Data Protection issues are addressed and we have full control over the storage of our data on the pods. See HERE a policy document that explains this need.
- Cover the research needs of the MSc thesis by evaluating the code and functionality of the Community Solid Server (CSS), based on a local installation and discussions in the relevant gitter forum.
- Install and configure a CERN CSS instance.
- Integrate it with the CERN new Single Sign-On (SSO).
- Contribute to CSS with a generic API for the ID provider, based on the interface experience with the CERN SSO integration. This cannot be done due to lack of time. Decision 2021/10/28 in meeting with university supervisor.
- Study performance and scaling issues, possibly via user interviews. CERN guest accounts (available from the CERN SSO) may be used to increase the community that creates Solid pods on the CERN CSS. This will be decided at the 2021/11/11 meeting with university supervisor. The reasons WHY tests with users may be not yet realistic should also be in the thesis.
- Comment in the thesis on the necessary documentation and/or videos to promote Solid pod adoption by the CERN community. Formulate an inspiring comment about the required quality of CSS in order to be endorsed by the community. Stay professional and scientific and form a FOUNDED conclusion.
Learning experienceSolid is the future of the Web. In this development there will be opportunities for technical exchages with the inventor of the Web Sir Tim Berners-Lee and Solid collaborators, who are very enthusiastic.
The CERN community is complex and very interesting to work with. This project can be an asset for a young developer.
Project duration3.5 months
Project areaData Management Data Analytics Learning
Contact for further detailsMaria Dimou
- All notes can be reached via http://solid.cern.ch - please consult the material attached to each event.
- Announcements are made in https://gitter.im/cern-solid/community
- Penny UI ( https://penny.vincenttunru.com ) by Vincent Tunru.
- Maria's pod https://dimou.solidcommunity.net/ also viewed via Penny https://penny.vincenttunru.com/explore/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdimou.solidcommunity.net%2F
- CSS discussion forum https://gitter.im/solid/community-server
- CERN SSO
- Documentation https://auth.docs.cern.ch/
- A recent BSc thesis including SSO integration of a web application https://cds.cern.ch/record/2724152/files/CERN-THESIS-2020-068.pdf
StatusOngoing Submitted by Maria Dimou on Monday, September 20, 2021 - 13:35.
Théo Martin Meyer
IT university of Copenhagen - https://itu.dk - MSc supervisor Sebastian Buettrich